About Blavity, Inc.
Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded technology and new media company, which was founded in 2014 with the simple idea of enabling Millennials of Color to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of news platforms and lifestyle brands focusing on Black culture through original content, video and unique experiences. The company has grown into a market leader for black media, reaching 30 million millennial per month through its growing brand portfolio; Blavity, 21Ninety, AfroTech, Travel Noire, and Shadow and Act. We are 5 brands with one vision and limitless opportunity!
Assembled of passionate, high-energy, and focused rock-stars, our Blavity Team creates and executes with our values at the forefront of mind:
Blavity, Inc. is continuously looking for new team members to help us continue to scale, cultivate our community, and advance our strategic direction. We are headquartered in Downtown LA, and have a satellite work space in Atlanta. Join us!
Blavity’s Business Operations (Biz Ops) team is at the intersection of decisions that drive our competitive advantage by providing data-driven insights and forward-thinking recommendations. We explore three key opportunity areas across the organization: Revenue Growth, Team Optimization, and Company Growth.
The Business Strategy Manager will report to the Director of Business Operations as part of the COO’s team and will be responsible for leading projects with minimal daily oversight. Such projects may include assessing new monetization opportunities, researching and designing meaningful solutions and efficiency gains, and creating new functional centers of excellence. This team collaborates with teams across the organization, but most closely with the Sales, Customer Success, and Ad Operations functions.
- Research and gain a deep understanding of complex business problems and associated risks for projects where there is high ambiguity.
- Drive scoping, execution and accuracy of strategic projects with minimal daily oversight from the Director.
- Combine quantitative and qualitative insights to assess business performance through data models and operational frameworks, illustrating trends and forward-looking forecasts and recommendations
- Lead in the creation of OKRs, reporting and dashboard such that other teams are able to easily understand and predict pipeline and portfolio performance.
- Conceptualize the overarching needs, workflows, and implementation of new tools or processes in a way that maximizes team adoption and serves as a reference for future projects.
- Identify, vet, and partner with external (vendor) stakeholders to define and prioritize business requirements and develop detailed plans that deliver on business initiatives (e.g. new enablement technology rollout).
- Work closely with the Director and COO in annual and quarterly strategic planning and budgeting activities.
- Oversee the development and growth of Associate and Intern team members through effective delegation of activities and constructive, timely feedback.
Successful Biz Ops team members are:
- Effective at tracking and participating in complex dialogues with high ambiguity.
- Accountable and reliable self-starters with an unrelenting detail-orientation and motivation to go above and beyond the task at hand.
- Analytical and resourceful in driving insights in a fast-paced environment with a systems-oriented approach.
- Effective at building cross-functional relationships that inspire information sharing
- Humble and empathetic collaborators who is not easily discouraged by setbacks, stakeholder personalities or shifting business priorities.
- Genuinely confident in the future we are building together and an “abundance” mindset.
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated ability to easily pinpoint inconsistencies/discrepancies and drive accuracy through an inquiry-based approach.
- Advanced understanding of leveraging Excel to manage large datasets, synthesize findings and derive novel insights.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. You are mature, measured, and confident when asked to defend ideas in front of a leadership team.
- Advanced experience leading the design of Powerpoint presentations that tell a cohesive story around key insights or workflows.
- Experience managing a team and developing coaching relationships that serve to drive professional development in others while meeting current team needs.
- Naturally detail oriented, with an obsessive need to accurately track and communicate progress.
- Collaborative, entrepreneurial, self-starter who is motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment.
- A healthy appreciation of GIFs and Black culture.
- MUST be able to work from the Los Angeles Headquarters.